HERE is my freshly written training plan for Athens 24 hour race next March.
It is based on the training I did for the West Highland Way race this year and I've tried to incorporate the following into the plan-
- a lot of flat, steady paced running (race specific)
- back to back long runs to build endurance
- weekly fast/rep. sessions but no more than 90% intensity(use HRM to keep check)
- train to handle the steady pounding soreness/ stiffness which flat running causes
- cross-training to supplement the running and strengthen supporting muscles.
When I put the WHW training plan into action work and life came into play, races were slotted in here and there and the actual training was quite different to the plan but I stuck to the general principles so I anticipate the same happening here (also I've a few adventures in the plotting stages...) but I need a plan to work around.
So, have a look through it and leave your thoughts in the comments. I've one or two things I've thought about changing so it'll be interesting to see if anyone else thinks the same.
Training starts 16th November so you'll have to flick the calendar forward to see it.